The problem of my adult life is a management problem. I have too many creative aspirations, and I lack time. Perhaps, I should learn patience.
Here are all the things I want to do outside of work:
- make all the furniture at my house
- do the landscaping for my house
- write my second novel that is less terrible than my first
- actually launch the open source product
- get a garden going that is productive (yielding brocolli, carrots, etc…)
- build a woodshed
- chop up two trees to season them (hence the need for a woodshed)
- build a minecart rail from future woodshed to near house.
- build all the outdoor furniture
- build a forge
- learn metal workinging
- learn how cars work
- buy a beat up truck and make it better
- write essays on life
- start running marathons
- stop being weak
The way I see it, I have three forms of energy:
My work tends to spend most of my mental energies, and some of the people energy. This means that the things I do outside of work tend to be physical.
Clustering the Creative Forms
I'll take the above list of things I want and identify the major themes and associate their respective energies:
- making with wood → [10% mental, 90% physical]
- making with metal → [10% mental, 90% physical]
- making code → [99% mental, 1% physical]
- making with land → [1% mental, 99% physical]
- writing → [99% mental, 1% physical]
- exercise → [10% mental, 90% physical]
If you noticed, none of the above themes have any energy dedicated towards people. The new question is how do I leverage people to help with the above efforts.
So, the open question is whether or not I'm willing to pay others to help with my creative aspirations. I think I am, and I will spell out the first level.
Making with Wood
It would be nice to have someone help with:
- cleaning the shop after I'm done
- help carry larger items
- plane and sand pieces
I like the routing and assembling phase.
Making with Metal
No idea, I haven't even started. I imagine that it will follow a similar pattern with wood.
This one is tricky since I'm very picky with my code. I think my best bet here is to get an apprentice. This will require more thinking.
Making with land
This is the most simple to solve since I can hire people to do the landscaping. The other question is whether or not I want to spend the money on it.
I should hire a personal trainer to help learn how to make the most of my time.